The 162ft high tower was designed by Henry Flitcroft in 1765 for the estate owner Henry Hoare II and completed in 1772. Hoare admired King Alfred the Great as a true English King. The tower was built using 1.2 million bricks. There are 206 steps to the top. On a clear day the counties of Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire can be seen from the top. The Creation of huge estates was a display of wealth in Georgian society and Stourhead was no exception. King Alfred's Tower would have been a real highlight on an estate tour, the ultimate status symbol.
The tower is at the north west side of Stourhead Estate in a wooded area. It is near to a car park on Tower Road and is signposted from the B3092 about 2.5 miles north of Mere.