The lighhouse was originally built 1788 by Sir Matthew White Ridley of Cowpen Colliery.
It has been added to over the years. Although now located in a back lane in Blyth
town it was originally on the coast. It is the coastline not the lighthouse which
has moved. The coast has moved quite a distance to the East due to the dumping of
ballast used in ships arriving at Blyth Harbour.