Erected shortly after the destruction of the Augustinian Priory in 1538. Monastic
stone and brick were used in it’s construction. The well supplied water to a large
part of the village. The original slender pinnacle on the top was broken off during
celebrations to mark the relief of Mafeking during the Boer War in May 1900. It was
replaced by the brazier which is lit for major events. Sometimes described as the
village Lock-up but this appears to be incorrect.
In “Common Place” in the centre of Walsingham
The water spout and what remains of the pump handle