This is a 1928 GPO K4 Phone Box. It is the largest type of box used by the GPO. It
incorporates a Post Box and Stamp Machines. These boxes were not popular and most
were removed by 1935. This one survived and became a listed building in 1986. Only
50 K4 boxes were produced and it is thought that many were never actually erected
and used. This was claimed to be the only one surviving on an original site, however
it now appears that there may be others.
Outside Whitley Bay Station (Tyne & Wear Metro) on the east side.